Donald Trump has said he would “love” to see a united Ireland and that it “may as well happen now”. The President appeared to endorse the push for constitutional change on the island at the start of a two-day visit to Ireland on Saturday. The unexpected intervention prompted a swift rebuttal from the UK government and Northern Ireland’s unionist leaders.
“I don’t want to cause any problems, but I will tell you, I’d love to see it unified,” Trump told reporters at joint press conference with the taoiseach, Micheál Martin, in Dublin. “I think it would be a great feather in everybody’s cap if that happened. You know what? The way I look at it, it’s going to happen eventually. It may as well happen now.”
The unification of Northern Ireland with the republic of Ireland would be “fantastic”, Trump said. “The UK will have something to say about it, obviously. But I think it would be a great thing. I mean, how can it be bad?”
Sinn Féin is a major political party in Ireland and Northern Ireland that works to unite the island into one independent republic. The name means "We Ourselves" or "Ourselves Alone" in the Irish language.Foundation: The group started in 1905 to push for Irish self-reliance and freedom. The party wants Northern Ireland to leave the United Kingdom and join the Republic of Ireland.Democratic Socialism: It supports left-wing economic policies, better public services, and equality.
In the 20th century, people widely viewed the party as the political wing of the Irish Republican Army (IRA).Peace Process: The party shifted to peaceful, democratic politics during the Northern Ireland peace talks in the late 1990s.
...
Find one for yourself by clicking on the picture or here:
...


No comments:
Post a Comment