Saturday, September 19, 2026

Personal fobias and other silliness...

 Somewhere deep in my brain there's a switch 
somebody musta threw a few years back...  
According to one article I read, it fawned over this monstrosity something like this'At 430 feet high and over four miles long, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in St. Petersburg, Florida, is an engineering marvel that defies logic. Officially known as the Bob Graham Sunshine Skyway Bridge, it’s fittingly considered one of the most remarkable bridges in Florida. While cruising across this bridge, you’ll be mesmerized by the sweeping views of Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. Truly, it’s not just a bridge, it’s a five-minute drive that will leave you speechless.'
Yeah? well guess what. Driving north on 275 last year, realizing that I was approaching the bridge, I not-so-casually worked my way over to the right shoulder, got out and made Babs drive over the bridge, during which I kept my eyes shut the entire time.
I have no idea where this fear of heights came from, and it's weird, 'cause I can look out of a plane window with no problem, but crossing a high bridge or driving on a high road with little lateral protection (guard rails just ain't enough), I tend to freak. I can't be alone with this, am I?
...  

...  

...  

...  

...  

In 2025, Grammy-award winning songwriter Ed Sheeran said he "identifies as culturally Irish" despite being born and raised across the Irish Sea.

But after the removal of Macklemore from his U.S. tour sparked a backlash over pro-Palestinian remarks, some of Ireland's politicians, musicians, broadcasters and public figures are publicly distancing themselves from one of the country's most enthusiastic adopted sons.
...  

...  

I really do hate to admit it again, but 
this took me a full minute to get...
...  

...

Someone must have a birthday 
or anniversary coming up.
Here's a great unique gift idea...
Click on the picture for more information on this cute bracelet
It's only $ 35.00 - and comes to you with free shipping!
...  
 
...

I wonder if this Jazz band - Rasheed and the Jazz Collective - is still playing in Washington Square Park or anywhere else in New York City. They' had been there for years but I heard recently that one of the former Mayors DiBlasio?) had kicked out all of the street performers from the city's parks.
One of my favorite places and certainly one of my favorites things to do. Especially with a very special person who will go unnamed...
...  

...  

...  

You get everything you see here for only $ 27.88.
 Treat yourself. Take a look...
...    

If these numbers really are legit, and the economy really is as good as DJT has been touting, why are people bitching as much as the media wants us to believe they are. Yeah, shit's more expensive than it was last year and the year before that, etc., etc., etc. I get it. I've been here going on 73 years now, and I can't remember on year when shit cost less than the year before. Can you? Juss' sayin'...
...  

...  

...  

...  

This bike was introduced in the spring of 1968. I was 14 - going on 15 - and I really didn't want one. actually thinking I was a bit too old and much too mature for something like that. Plus the fact that the bike cost more money than I would have earned all summer working on the boardwalk and my parents, then with five kids in toe, weren't springing for one, so there. I was stuck with my old hand-me-down that both of brothers had ridden. Or is it just 'rid' - like got rid of?
...  

...  

...  





9 comments:

  1. Bridges like that, the one in Jacksonville, Charleston SC, freak me the fuck out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my 20s I would climb 50' poles to maintain UHF antennas for the NAS Cubi Pt control tower. Also climbed masts to work on various radars, including the SPS-10 which in those days was the highest point on most ships.

    Could sleep in the cramped spaces behind equipment racks during GQ drills and did several cruises on small ships

    Today in my 80s I get up 20' in a magnolia and I hang on with one hand and try to cut with the other. And I go claustrophobic gettin a shirt outta my bedroom closet.

    Also don't ride crotch rockets any more. And I really wish somebody would inform the murkan populace that it ain't 50% black and LGBTQ account for about 5% of the population, not the 25 to 30% we're led to believe.

    And BTW, Islam is TOtally incompatible with the US Constitution, as well as the American mindset I remember from the 40s and 50s.

    Lastly, Sayed and Piker should be dehydrated, powdered, and dumped over the Gaza Strip, preferably from a starshell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah. I don't go anywhere near crap like that. same deal with tunnels under the bay like. I much rather drive around it.
    funny thing, I never do roller coasters or any crap like that. but back in the army days, riding in a Huey at night, nap of the earth and the pilot wearing night vision didn't phase me one bit. and that is way worse than any roller coaster ride.
    and I do not trust ladders for some reason ? under 10 foot or so, okay. but over that, I pass on it. I own scaffolding instead.
    1/503 PIR a long time ago now. wife says I got chicken in my old age. anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Stingray was introduced in 1963. I had one (I was 11 at the time). If it had been 1968 I wouldn't have had one because I was a licensed driver and drove my Dad's Olds Toronado.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ex was afraid of bridges but I would calmly talk her through it. I've skydived but hate buildings that sway in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at those prices and tell me why seniors on Social Sec only get a 3% raise a year. We just keep going deeper into the hole while illegals and foreigners are teated like royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While the other kids sere riding 10 and 12 speeds mine was a 6 speed, no front gear changer. My dad couldn't afford a 10 speed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Skyway bridge over Tampa Bay is an eye sore and the ugliest man-made monstrosity I have ever personally seen in the state of Florida. There may be uglier things but if so I have never seen them.



    ReplyDelete
  9. The Mackinac bridge in Michigan has a service that will drive your car over it.

    ReplyDelete

Living the dream?

The American Dream is still alive and well in Florida. It just doesn’t need a mansion or a driveway full of luxury cars. For many Floridians...