Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Mindless ramblings? Not so much...

... 


73 years ago this week, my Father (who was home on leave and having just returned from the south Pacific and the Battle of Leyte Gulf) took his fiance - my Mother - to the '400 Club' in New York City.

According to an ad in the Sunday Mirror (an NYC Daily paper at the time) Charlie Barnet and his orchestra were headlining at the 400 Restaurant at Fifth Avenue and 43rd Street, appearing with "Marga" and her rhumbas. Barnet was a socialite playboy turned swing band leader who had a string of hits in the late 1930s and early 1940s, most notably "Cherokee." He was one of the first to have an integrated band. Fran Warren was his vocalist at this time. Noted trumpeter Al Killian also was featured in the band. The club featured continuous dancing from 6:30 PM to 3:00 AM. The New Yorker Magazine listed flamboyant drummer Gene Krupa and his band as the attraction as well.

My God she was beautiful.
... 

... 



Going way back to the '80s when I had my own Advertising Agency (McGovern/Jackson Advertising - I was the creative Director for the company), Kenilworth Systems was a substantial client of ours. They had developed the very first 'Player Card' reader systems for slot players. This was one of the trade publication ads we did for them for their 'Lott-o-Gold' magnetic card reader system.

That's my secretary at the time Evie (great gal), me and my Grandmother Minny - and yes, I did dress like that every day. Back then.
... 


When ya gotta go so bad yer brain stops working...
... 


Anyone else remember - or for that matter ever heard of - an amusement ride called the HELL HOLE on the Wildwood, NJ boardwalk? It was a large circular room you'd get in and the whole room would spin around fast enough to create a centrifugal force sufficient to make you stick to the wall of the ride while they lowered the floor beneath you!


Here's a short video if you've never heard of it - pretty friggin' wild and a shitload of fun when we were kids.


... 

... 

... 

... 

... 

Ya know, I make my living now as a Handyman. Don't kid yerself - I do pretty good with this little bizness of mine. 

Anyways, if you can't find a guy like me to fix shit around the house, at least have something like this so you can take a stab at it:


... 


Another one of my favorite places on earth.
... 

... 

... 


We had to use our imaginations as kids. Don't think kids these days have any imaginations at all.
... 


Who's that guy with that guy?
... 

Once ya reach a certain age (fer instance I'm 67) you learn to never EVER trust a fart ya gotta force. This could be life-saving advice, guys. Don't be cavalier about it.
... 

... 


And to this day I'm still a pretty huge tool. Juss sayin'.
... 

... 

... 

... 

... 


Flying dragons at the Belfast Museum of Art in No. Ireland. (Photo by Yurs Trooly)
... 

I will continue to iterate this point until it's drilled inta yuz:

Valentines Day may not mean much to you (because we're not women so that makes us inherently stupid) but it's a BIG DEAL to women. Forget about trying to find some kinda magic, perfect gift for her - you ain't gonna. Just get her a gift card and let her choose her own gift. 

Trust me - you'll look like a genius here:


And so's ya don't think I'm stupid or something, the best part is, if - GODFORBID right - you should either break up with her or get dumped, you can use it yourself!
... 


Sunrise on the waterfront in Cruz Bay, St. John.
... 


How fast was THAT muthafucka?
... 



And I'll leave yuz wit' dis...








... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeking relevance in a world where nothing is relative, or something like that...

So, about every couple of years, this fat fuck  ratbag emerges from the shadows...       This fat piece of shit was on CNN yesterday talking...