Sunday, September 13, 2026

They don't build 'em like they used to...

This is the Unisphere, a massive stainless-steel globe landmark located in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park in Queens, New York.  It was built as the centerpiece for the 1964–1965 New York World's Fair. It stands 140 feet tall and measures 120 feet in diameter, making it the world's largest monumental globe.
Designed by landscape architect Gilmore D. Clarke to celebrate the fair's theme of "Peace Through Understanding" and global interdependence. 

...  

Find one for yourself by clicking on the picture or here:
...  


3 comments:

  1. why aren't the blogs on the sidebar updating

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to that World's Fair. I was in school at Fort Monmouth, NJ in '64 and '65 and ran around with a guy from Indiana who somehow really knew his way around the City.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at a Cities Service gas station on the NJ TurnPike back then. I wish I had a nickle for every one I gave directions to that were going there. I'd never been there myself at that time but from looking on maps (we had maps back then), I knew how to tell them to get there. I'm sure there are some that are still looking.......

    ReplyDelete

Every letter should start with the words 'Dear Mr. President'...

At first I was insulted that he'd think he can 'buy' my vote, but then I thought, fuck it, I'm gonna probably vote the way h...