Saturday, September 19, 2026

Legislating the minutia of your everyday life...

Since moving to Florida, I've joked on more than one ocassion that I could throw away a dead body at the curb if I wrapped it properly. Our town doesn't even bother with seperate recycling bins. They do it all at the dump. Not like where I usta live.
In New Jersey, throwing away major appliances is illegal because they often contain hazardous materials like refrigerants, oils, and heavy metals that can harm the environment. This applies to washers, dryers, stoves, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, freezers, furnaces, microwave ovens, refrigerators, water heaters, and other big appliances.
Electronics are also banned from New Jersey landfills. This includes electronic equipment with a display screen or monitor 7” or larger, such as TVs and computer monitors. Other computer components include CPUs, printers, scanners, keyboards, mice, speakers, etc. Video players (VCRs, DVD players, DVRs), fax machines, photocopiers, and Cell Phones are also illegal to throw in the trash.
Even fluorescent light bulbs, which may contain small amounts of mercury, which makes them hazardous and illegal to throw in the regular trash.
There are so many more ridulous items on the banned list it's almost not worth mentioning them all. Is it illegal to throw away dirty diapers? Don't bet against it. The original article is behind the headline.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Legislating the minutia of your everyday life...

Since moving to Florida, I've joked on more than one ocassion that I could throw away a dead body at the curb if I wrapped it properly. ...