Monday, June 15, 2026

They may look like a canvas of cotton candy, but these rainbow nets are actually a brilliant form of pest control. Stretched over crops, the kaleidoscope of colors confuses insects like aphids and whiteflies, scrambling their ability to locate the plants underneath. Some farmers have cut pesticide use by 25‑50% without losing yields.
The nets also act as shields against harsh sun, heavy rain, and wind, regulating humidity and reducing plant stress. It's a simple, sustainable trick that lets farmers protect harvests without dousing them in chemicals. Practical science, painted in every color of the spectrum.

...  

...  




5 comments:

  1. Yet everywhere else the rainbow seems to attract the biggest troublemakers. Creative farming approach. I saw a piece a while back (maybe here) where farmers were planting strips of wildflowers in the midst of their crops to provide natural homes for the predators of the pests. Also significant reduction in pesticide need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Companion planting is a wonderful thing. I remember an "organic farming" experiment where people failed to raise a crop of beans because they hadn't picked off the bean beetles. They had just a few rows of recognizable bean plants...always and only the rows next to rows of tomato plants. Seems bean beetles really don't like the smell of tomatoes.

      Delete
  2. Next thing you know they’ll add galvanic gardening to this. It’s another way to repel insects and also increase crop yields.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty amazing to cover acres of crops and I wonder how they do it. It's hard enough just to cover the plants in the garden from frost in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering what I would do with a dozen golf balls. Think I'll buy some beer instead.

    ReplyDelete

Takin' a quick peek at the bride...

...    Someone must have a birthday  or anniversary coming up. Here's a great new gift idea...   Click on the picture for more informati...