Friday, May 30, 2025

Get a hobby, they told me...

"I never realised how unique my chain was until almost 25 years later. In 1992, my wife, Deborah, and I were visiting the Ripley’s museum in Ontario. We saw a giant gum-wrapper chain hanging from the ceiling as part of one of the exhibits. As we stared up at it, we were both thinking the same thing: my chain is much bigger.
Deborah nudged me and said: “You’d better do something about that. I spoke to the manager, and he put me in touch with Ripley’s vice-president of acquisitions. He was impressed by my chain, but told me there was a Guinness World Record holder who had a longer one. 
My competitive nature kicked in. I went to the Wrigley’s purchasing department and asked them to supply me with Juicy Fruit wrappers – my favourite flavour. They gave me 5,000 to begin with, then 10,000 more. Before long, I blew past the 7,400ft (2.25km) record and reached 10,000ft.
 

I became the Guinness World Record holder for the longest gum wrapper chain in the world – at 12,105ft – in March 1994, and I have officially broken my own record eight times since."
 




3 comments:

  1. This is why BOOMERS get the bad rap. Most of us are a little different but really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically, he breaks his own record every time he adds 1 wrapper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife discovered "Brit Box" a while ago and she loves it.

    ReplyDelete

The road less travelled...

The main point of M. Scott Peck’s classic 1978 book The Road Less Traveled is that life is difficult, and true emotional and spiritual growt...