A team of divers came across a 162-year-old bottle of Guinness while exploring a shipwreck off the UK coast – and there’s a possibility the stout could still be drinkable. Stefan Panis, an underwater photographer from Belgium, was stunned when he discovered the glass bottle in the wreckage of the Mindoro in the English Channel last year. “I resurfaced and the top of the bottle was super clear, and I was really amazed to see ‘Guinness Extra Stout London,’ Panis said.
The bottle was found in the boat’s cargo. Panis and fellow diver Eddie Huzzie, 68, then sent samples from the 19th century bottle to microbiologists at the research university KU Leuven in Belgium.
“There is always a chance that we can recover the complete DNA, and then we can do a small re-brew of the exact beer that was found in the 1860s”. Panis, who admitted he’s not a huge fan of the stout, said the contents of the bottle might still be drinkable - but he’s waiting for the analysis first.
Personally, I'd wait for one of them to sample it first. Juss' sayin'...


No comments:
Post a Comment