Monday, June 1, 2026

Ever wonder why you have a lawn instead of something else - like a garden?

Turns out, it's all about image. The perfect suburban lawn was born not from a love of landscaping, but from a desire to flaunt wealth.
In 17th‑century England, the richest aristocrats realized that the most visible part of their estate didn't need to be productive. Instead of planting wheat or vegetables, they planted grass - then meticulously maintained it, usually with the labor of a large staff of gardeners. The message was clear: "I am so wealthy that I can afford to waste this land doing absolutely nothing."
This concept of conspicuous waste was later transported to America, where it was embraced by early presidents and industrialists. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the titans of the Gilded Age all built sweeping lawns to advertise their gentility.
Today, the lawn is a $40 billion industry in the U.S., consuming trillions of gallons of water and billions of pounds of fertilizer each year - all to create a status symbol that no longer means what it once did.
A field of grass, invented by the idle rich, now maintained by the busy not‑so‑rich, who have no idea they're keeping up with the Vanderbilts.




3 comments:

  1. I deeply enjoy walking on a nice lawn in my bare feet and getting grounded in touch with the earth. But productive land or ornamental plants are equally wonderful. The key is to have grass that makes sense for your climate and to o ly have enough to be able to quickly cut. I love our El Toro Zoyzia that is thick bladed and goes dormant in winter and is quite drought resistant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lawns existed before the 17th century, for defensive purposes of course. You did not want your manor or castle or walled town surrounded by trees and shrubs and tall grasses. So cleared land out to past bow or crossbow range.

    Though the 17th century lords did bring the concept of a lawn into what we now think of a lawn, carefully manicured and controlled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A significant lawn is a substitute for air conditioning. Transpiration lowers local air temperature, sometimes by as much as 10F. Of course, Floridians think 70% RH is "dry" and 60F is "cold" so, whatever. Just don't fall for the commie crap about getting rid of lawns. I'd fertilize golf courses with bone meal of marxists, if I could. And water isn't "wasted" - greenie lies.

    ReplyDelete

Three more weeks...

  When I'm on this road, I am in my favorite place in the whole world.  On the road out of Doochary in to Classy along the Gweebarra riv...