Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Do you know what a Moko Jumbie is?

Moko jumbie is a stilts walker or dancer...  
 
 
The meaning of "Moko" is healer in areas of Central Africa and "jumbi", a West Indian word for a ghost or spirit that is thought to have been derived from the Kongo language word zumbi. The Moko Jumbies are thought to originate from West African traditions brought to the Caribbean islands. They are especially popular during 'Carnival' seasons, which vary from island to island. On St.John, our carnival usualy coincided with July 4th celebrations.
Here in The Villages, we have our own knid of Mock O'Jumbys'...
 
...  

...  

 
Must be getting closer to election time. I'm noticing 
that my social security check is hitting my bank account as much as a week earlier than normal. Any of you guys seeing the same thing? Trust me, I'm not bitching, but if he's doing it on purpose, it's a pretty fuckin' cheesy move. Juss' sayin'...
...  

...  

 
I know it's a goof of some sort, but I haven't been able to determine if it's by Chris Shapan. It certainly is his style. If ya don't know who he is, google his name.
...  

...  

...  

...  

 
Chicago has begun evicting some migrants from its shelters, a controversial policy that had been delayed for months but appeared haphazard, a migrant told NBC News on Monday. Migrants who have been evicted, as well as those who face a rapidly approaching deadline, said there has been widespread confusion about the process and frustration with being forced to leave while they still lack the resources to find their own places to stay.
In the first two days of enforcement, fewer than 10 migrants have been evicted from their shelters, according to the city. Five migrants were forced to leave Monday because of the policy, a city spokesperson said, while three were evicted Sunday. Franklin Romero, 29, a Venezuelan migrant, said someone told him at the Woodlawn shelter just one day before that he had to leave by 2 p.m. Monday. 
 
 
“It was unbelievable. We have no stability,” said Romero, who was wearing a silver coat and black pants after he was forced out on a day with freezing temperatures and snow flurries
...  

I like this guy's style.
...  

You don't need a special occasion - or even a 
reason - to get her something nice. Just do it...
 
Click on the picture for more information on these earrings.
They're only $ 20.00 and that includes free shipping!
...  

 A year after the 2022 U.S. Supreme Court decision in favor of Americans' right to carry guns in public, the issuance of permits to carry guns has skyrocketed in the Garden State.
In 2021, the year before the ruling, 631 gun-carry permits were issued in New Jersey. That number went up to 19,933 in 2023, a 3,000% increase, according to recently released data by the Attorney General's Office.
I find this to be a gigantic 'fuck you' to the State. They had made it virtually impossible to get a carry permit in the past, so much so that even retired cops couldn't get one for personal safety. Fuck - when I moved back to Jersey from the VI (where I had a full concealed carry permit), it took the cops seven months just to register my 100% legal firearm, and just as long again to deny my application to carry. 
...  

This is what the New Yorker thinks is funny. Smarmy bastards.
...  

...  






3 comments:

  1. Joe I would be remiss if I didn’t give you a shout out. I used to follow 12-15 blogs and I have since pared that down. I am about to pare my list down again to just Knuckle Draggin’, Feral, the daily time waster,TNBD and of course yours.Which in my opinion is by far and away the best one. It’s always fresh and interesting. You make me laugh, you make me think. You’re not an incessant copy and paster and you’re not afraid to interject a personal story or two about your life. And the best one is the fact that you don’t try and ram your opinion down everyone’s throat. Anyway keep up the good work……SST

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah well, previously it required a Superior Court Judge to give the OK for a carry permit. So you had to be really, really connected, politically, to get one.

    - A former NJ resident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hasn't that shitheel Governor Phil Murphy just signed legislation raising the fees for registration of firearms and applications for CCW?

      Delete

Remembering rooftops...