Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Perspective's a bitch, and it only gets worse as we get older.

 The idea that something as special as this came out 51 years ago 
is genuinely frightening to me. 
Do you feel the same way I do about this song?

I am not an overly-emotional guy by any means, but I almost got a tear in my eye yesterday thinking about how many magical and truly dear memories I still have tied up in this song - this group - the period in my life. 
I saw them open up for Jethro Tull on July 8th, 1971 at the Wildwood (NJ) Civic Center. I had just the month before graduated high school and I think the tickets were $ 3.50. 
It's as if it was just a few weeks ago.
That scares the fuck outta me...


3 comments:

  1. I still have my copy on vinyl....never sounds dated, five God level musicians working fo a common goal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw Yes many a time in the later 70's,saw Tull(me favorite band)even more times the 70's and beyond.

    That said,I only first saw Tull in 75(me babysitters took me!),kinda wish I had caught em in the early 70's but of course/then I would be older!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grew up in the Mid-Hudson Valley (Poughkeepsie/Town of LaGrange) in the mid-70s, my buds and I did a steady diet of English progressive - Yes, Gentle Giant, UK, ELP, King Crimson, along with other fusion rock - Al DiMeola, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and of course Jethro Tull, Jimi, and Robin Trower. Even saying the word "disco" was a guaranteed ass-kicking in our crowd. Saw Gentle Giant across the river in a collge gym over in New Paltz. Like you guys, absolutely literally remember it like yesterday, and driving around the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley in the first car I ever owned (purchased in 1977 for $2,000), a 1970 Boss 302. Every once in awhile, scored some Panama red that you couldn't even finish the joint of. When I finish that damn time machine, that's exactly where (when) I'm going back to....

    ReplyDelete