Wednesday, March 29, 2023

When 50 years goes by in a blink, you know you're old...

Today the nation recognizes National Vietnam War Veterans Day on the 50th anniversary of the date the last combat troops left South Vietnam...

Vietnam Veterans of America is dedicated to promoting & supporting the full range of issues important to Vietnam veterans and helping today's veterans. This is a great organization.

Here they are on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VVAmerica
and here's their website: https://vva.org/
...

...
Yup - that's me - a scrubbed-faced 19 year old shit head who had a draft number of 352, which meant the Cong coulda invaded Hoboken and I still probably wouldn'ta hadda go.
I enlisted (for reasons I'll discuss another time)and poof - there I am.
I was in in '71/'72, so I did serve during the war, but I was never 'in-country' as so many of brothers were, so I do NOT think of myself or ever refer to myself as being a 'Nam Vet. And no one else who wasn't there should ever either. I've seen guys get their asses kicked for saying that when they didn't go over.
...

...

Five planets will align in the night sky for an extraordinary view on Tuesday in a phenomenon dubbed a “planetary parade”. The planets – Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Uranus and Mars – will come together on the western horizon, near the crescent moon, for a brief display after sunset. People almost anywhere on Earth with a westerly view and clear skies will be able to catch it. Although the best day to see the full array is Tuesday, several of the planets will remain visible for the next two weeks. Jupiter, Venus and Mars will be the easiest to spot, as they shine brightly, according to Cooke. Mars will appear close to the moon, with a reddish glow, while Mercury and Uranus will appear dimmer and best viewed through binoculars. ...

...

The Manhattan grand jury considering former President Trump’s involvement in a 2016 hush payment is not expected to hear additional evidence in the probe this week, according to a source familiar with the matter. The grand jury is not expected to convene Wednesday and will meet on Thursday to consider a different case.
...

...

In case you were wondering what ever happened to it - why you never see it in the stores anymore, it's because it's 'Mary Kitchen' now. Same stuff - taste and texture haven't changed in 60 years or so that I know of, just a different name, or at least that's what my mother told me way back when.
This is my one indulgence in prepared foods in that I'm allergic to MSG. I usually fry up a buncha home-fries (red potatoes with peppers and onions, of course) and mix then in to the hash. Try that idea - it doubles the portion size and makes it an even better dish - at least that's my opinion. I may actually be making it later this morning. If I do I'll post a pic of the finished product. You can thank me later.
...

...

This is what's happening in Israel lately:
... 

It's so easy to buy a nice
little gift for someone you love...

Click on the picture above for information on this bracelet
It's only $18.00 with free shipping.  You can find something nice for 
your Mom, your wife, your daughter or your girlfriend right here: 
... 

When I was a kid back in Newark, NJ in the 50's, I lived in a predominately Italian and Irish neighborhood, but it was mostly guineas everywhere you looked. I had a couple of friends who both had 'Uncles' who owned trucks like this that would be at the 10 or 12 different feasts, festivals and parades we'd see every year around the neighborhood.
Between the gigs, the guys would drive these around the neighborhood on weekends during the summer. They'd park in the middle of a block and wait for the mothers to bring out the little kids, and for a quarter apiece they'd ride the ride for about fifteen minutes, then the guy'd go to a different block and start all over. Man. what a way to make a living, huh? Great memories...
...

...

That was my first thought when I first saw the headline - why don't they just
shit-can the products and not sell 'em anymore? Probably worried about offending somebody or some other lame-ass bullshit reason. Juss' sayin'...
...

...

This is why I don't read Rolling Stone Magazine.
This is a headline story for them...
...

...

She just did a double pit-sniff. Jeez...
...

...

...






4 comments:

  1. The last combat troops, or the last ones the worthless US government was willing to care about? MIAs, POWs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well whether you were there or not is immaterial to me, the point is that you joined and were ready if sent. Thank you for your service. And yes I was at a bar in person and watched some punk get his ass handed to him by 5-6 Nam Vets who were getting together for some cold ones on Memorial Day. Technically if I had signed up at 18 I would be considered a Vietnam Era Vet. The young man who took the beating was younger than me! This was around 1984-85 I'm guessing

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are correct, of course. You are not a Vietnam veteran. But you ARE a Vietnam-era veteran. Anyone who was in up until 1975 would be considered such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, I AM a Vietnam-era draftee ('71) but due to Delayed Enlistment I went in in '72. I do not claim to be a Vet, but acknowledge the "era" part. Still and all, I very much respect the Vets that Saw the Elephant!

      Delete

Our friends at Twisted Hillbilly won't stop sending these young lovelies our way...

...    You'll find our Twisted Hillbilly buddies here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086379333744