Thursday, February 4, 2021

This is certainly worth repeating.

I posted this on this morning's post but it good, valuable advice and I thought it was worthy of a second look.

... 


This is stolen from a writer that goes by 
the name 'Viking 6 Tactical'. Good stuff.

Like everything else, first aid kits need to be tailored to an individual or families needs, training and experience. A key to a good first aid kit is organization and having them where you would need them.  In an emergency situation, medical services can become quickly overwhelmed. Because of this, you want to be able to care for an emergency you are capable  and trained to handle. In an emergency situation, you will be doing things you normally don’t. 
 
For example, you may have been hit with a wind event that has isolated you from the hospital. In the course of clearing trees, you cut yourself or break a bone. Having the ability to stabilize the wound and stop bleeding can be the difference between life and death or loss of limb. 
 
With that, when preparing for emergencies, there are different kits you should have; 

1. Boo Boo kit - everyday first aid kit with bandaids and other common items. This is your go to kit that you always use. 
2. Trauma Kit - first aid kit to cover serious and life threatening injuries. Only used when needed. 
3. Advanced Trauma Kit - A kit designed to cover common and life threatening injuries during a true SHTF or emergency when medical care may not be available. 
 
The next question is usually how many kits should I have and where should I keep them. In my opinion, there are a minimum of three places you should have kits; bathroom, vehicles, and a storm or emergency room (designate a room for emergencies in your home). As you get more advanced, you will want to add kits to your emergency bag, weapons kit, bikes, etc.  you can never have too many first aid kits. 
 
1. Vehicles. I keep a Boo Boo kit in my center console. As a father with young children, this is probably the most used kit I have. I keep assorted bandaids (in a ziplock bag), tweezers, tape, alcohol prep pads, moleskin, pills (Advil, Tylenol, allergy pills, etc). I also keep a small ziplock pill bag with a single dose of my wife’s prescription with a photocopy of the  Rx label. This is all kept in a clear plastic container.  Also inside the vehicle is a trauma bag. I use a small bag you can pick up at any box store for this kit for under $20 (small range bags work good).  This is a bag for an accident, for me or if I happen to roll up on one. This one consist of; everything in the Boo Boo Kit plus tourniquet, SAM splint, CPR mask, chest seal, gauze, ace bandage, assorted  wound pads, compression bandage, medic shears, surgical gloves, mask, wilderness first aid kit, work gloves, glass punch and seatbelt cutter.  I also have additional items but it is tailored to my skill set. 
 
2. Bathroom. I keep a Boo Boo Kit in every bathroom of the house. This consist of a large clear plastic container with what I keep in my vehicle plus, ace bandage, insect bite cream, antiseptic spray, peroxide, and scissors. This is the go-to kit for most medical emergencies in my home. 
 
3. In my home, the master bedroom is my storm room/ emergency room. I keep an advanced trauma kit in that room. This consist of everything I have in all my kits. A good way to organize this is to use roll on luggage or a tote with plastic ammo cans or Tupperware to separate everything. I keep my bandaids in ziplock bags with a long strip of duck tape and the type of band aid written on it. I open up my bag, go to the container with bandaids and just read the type of bandaid. I also buy different bandaids when I go out to keep the bag fully stocked. I also keep a container with an oral thermometer, blood pressure cuff, oxygen meter, otoscope, and other medical supplies. Based on my training and experience I have additional supplies that I keep in the kit.
 
4. A good first aid manual is key. Wilderness survival first aid books are helpful. Whenever I go to a thrift shop or garage sale and see a medical book, I pick it up and keep them together organized on a shelf. 
 
As I continue to prepare for emergencies, I keep adding to my kits. When you have all the supplies you need for your skill level, prep past that. Ideally you want to be at a point where you would only have to go to the ER for life saving measures.  I also try to never use things from my trauma bags, that’s what the boo boo kits are for. This will ensure your kit is always fully stocked and you didn’t forget to replace anything. 
 
One thing the COVID pandemic has shown is that you want to be able to sustain yourself medically in an emergency.
... 

Do you keep a First Aid kit 
in your vehicle? 

If you don't, don'tcha think ya should?



This is a pretty good one and it'll fit under your front seat 
if ya don't wanna keep it in the trunk. 

Take a look:

Comes complete with a FREE Bonus 32-Piece Mini First Aid Kit
... 

Time is ticking away, guys. Take a minute and look at the jewelry my wife makes. It's not expensive and it will make a really nice gift for someone special to you.


You still have time to find something
 nice for your wife or girlfriend and 
get it delivered for Valentine's Day



It's really nice stuff and the prices include 
free shipping to almost anywhere! 
 
There's a large variety of items that she makes that are available on her Etsy 'storefront'. See some for yourself by clicking on any  of the pictures above or click here:
...  






No comments:

Post a Comment